Q: I forgot to renew my license.  What do I need to do?

There is a form on the PA State Board’s website: Requirements for Reactivation of your Pennsylvania License.  www.dos.state.pa.us/social

Note: If you are a MFT supervisor this lack of renewal does impact your supervisees.

Q. Must I complete the child abuse recognition and reporting CE every time I renew my license?

Yes, As a condition of PA renewal of licenses all must complete two (2) hours of Department of State Board approved continuing education child abuse recognition and reporting within the required renewal period (24 month period). Go to Pennsylvania Child Welfare Resource Center. www.reportabusepa.pitt.edu (free online training site for this CE).

Q: I am licensed in another state as a marriage and family therapist. What is the procedure for licensure?

The application is available on the PA State Board’s website at www.dos.state.pa.us/social, then click on “Licensure Information” and then click on “Board Forms” and then click on “Application for a License by Endorsement without Examination to Practice as a Marriage and Family Therapist”. Follow the instructions for submitting the application form, required documentation and fees.

Note: You must hold a license as a marriage and family therapist in another state and have been actively engaged in the practice of marriage and family therapy for 5 of the last 7 years immediately preceding the filing of this application for licensure by endorsement.   You must be able to show that you have 60 credits of graduate coursework.  If you do not meet the requirements for licensure by endorsement, you must complete the Application for a License by Examination to Practice as a Marriage and Family Therapist.  Supervised clinical experience before March 2, 2002 please visit the PA website and read information under 48.13(c ).


Q:Where can I find the application for licensing to be a marriage and family therapist?

The application is available on the PA State Board’s website at www.dos.state.pa.us/social, then click on “Licensure Information” and then click on “Board Forms” and then click on “Application for a License by Examination to Practice as a Marriage and Family Therapist”.

Note: There is a question and answer page on the State’s website.  Many questions are answered on the instructions and the forms provided.  It is not necessary to add any additional paperwork to this application. No data is necessary except what they ask you to write in on the application.  Keep it simple.


Q: Where can I get an application to take the MFT exam?

When you apply for the license and the state has finished reviewing your application for a license, the state sends you the application to take the National MFT exam.  To read up on information on the test, and how it is given and pre-tests visit: www. AMFTRB.org


January 12/1/2014 1/17 – 1/24/2015
February 1/1/2015 2/14 – 2/21/2015
March 2/1/2015 3/14 – 3/21/2015
April 3/1/2015 4/18 – 4/25/2015
May 4/1/2015 5/16 – 5/23//2015
June 5/1/2015 6/20 – 6/27/2015
July 6/1/2015 7/18 – 7/25/2015
August 07/01/2015 8/15 – 8/22/2015
September 08/01/2015 9/19 – 9/26/2015
October 09/01/2015 10/17 – 10/24/2015
November 10/01/2015 11/14 – 11/21/2015
December 11/01/2015 12/12 – 12/19/2015


Q: What is the breakdown for the required hours of experience for Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) licensure?

Presently you are required to work 3000 hours under supervision.  This must be accomplished in no less than two years.  1500 hours must be clinical, the other 1500 hours are non-clinical work hours.  You must complete 500 hours in one year to count any hours. 


Q: How does counting hours work?

You may begin to count work hours when you have completed 48 credits in your master’s degree.  Internship hours are part of your education so those 600 hours of internship do not count.  If you go over 600 hours in your internship and have 48 credits completed you can count those hours for licensing.  Work experience hours should be rounded off.  We do not encourage you to send in something that says .25 or .50 if you can round it off to an hour.  Keep it simple.


Q. Do I have to start counting work hours right after I graduate?  What is the 6-year rule?

No, YOU decide when to start counting work hours.  You can work two years and stop, take a break and start up again two years later.  However, in order for it all to count it must all be done within a six year period when you decide to start counting your hours.


Q. How does hours for supervision for licensing work?

You need 150 hours of supervision. Keep it simple and round off your supervision hours so that you show you completed a total of 150 or more hours. Try not to send in quarter hours (.25) or half hours (.50) etc.  75 hours must be with an LMFT who is an AAMFT Approved Supervisor. You may choose to stay with the Licensed MFT, Approved Supervisor for all your 150 hours.   You must check that your supervisor’s license is active and they have a legitimate AAMFT Supervision Certificate that is up to date. You can ask for a copy or they should have it showing in their offices.  The other 75 hours can be with an LMFT or another licensed person in a related field such as Social Work, Counseling or Psychology. Your must check that their license is active also. (www.dos.state.pa.us/social – Verify a license.)

One-half of your supervision must be reviewing your clinical work so out of the 75 hours with the LMFT, Approved Supervisor 45 must be clinically based supervision the other 45 may be non-clinical.  If you choose to be supervised with a licensed person in a related field the hours are the same 45 clinical, 45 non-clinical.  This brings you to a total of 150 hours

Note: You need two hours of supervision for every 40 hours of work experience.  One hour must be individual – just you and the supervisor!  The second hour can be in group (two or more individuals) or individual. 

“No more than six in a group” means the supervisor cannot be supervising more than than six licensees in a group.   You could be in group supervision with 40 people as long as no more than six are working toward licensure.


Q. How do I keep track of my hours for licensing?

You do not need to show data of how you completed your work hours for the licensing application in PA.  However, you do need to have this worked out with your supervisors as to how they want you to keep track of direct client contact hours and non-clinical hours.  We suggest you use the type of form that you used in your MFT program and keep a portfolio of all paperwork forever.  Remember supervision hours may be counted as part of your work experience


Q. I am working only part time.  How do I count my hours?

Work experience can only be counted if it takes place in a single setting for at least 30 hours per week but no more than 50 during at least a 3 month period, or at least 15 hours a week for at least 6 months.


Q: Can I receive supervision via videoconferencing?

Until final regulations regarding this subject are approved and printed we must still follow the present regulation which states in-person supervision.  Privacy and confidentiality are always at risk unless you have a secured site which is available when paid through a legitimate service.  This will be expected in the new regulation that has not yet been approved.


Q: When do I need to start collecting CE credits now that I am licensed?

Be aware all MFT renewal licensing happens in odd years by Feb.  Therefore, you will not need to start counting CEs until the start of the next renewal time when you need to renew your license.  You will then need to collect 30 credits, 3 aimed at Ethics.


Q: What is the contact information for the State Board?

State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and Professional Counselors

P.O. Box 2649, Harrisburg, PA 17105-2649  Phone –  (717) 783-1389 / (717) 783-1389 /Fax – (717) 787-7769



If contacting the PA State Board it is best to email and keep a copy of your email.  If possible, always get the name of the person you have received your information or answers from at the PA State Board.