In addition to supporting PAMFT members in these ways, AAMFT also recognizes the various stages of professional development and has developed membership categories that best suit the needs of the member at each stage of development.
There are six AAMFT membership categories:
- Clinical fellow – the credentialed level of membership in the AAMFT
- Member – attained and hold a current independent (private) practice in a mental health field other than marriage and family therapy.
- Pre-clinical fellow – completed a masters or doctoral degree in marriage and family therapy from an accredited educational institution and is completing supervised clinical hours toward licensure.
- Associate member – met all educational requirements and working toward completing post-graduate clinical hours in a mental health field other than marriage and family therapy.
- Student member – students enrolled in a graduate marriage and family therapy program or an equivalent graduate program.
- Affiliate member – individual in a field related to marriage and family therapy but not licensed nor has plans to deliver mental health services independently.